Final “NOLA No-Call” Lawsuit Dismissed in Louisiana Final “NOLA No-Call” Lawsuit Dismissed in Louisiana
Lawyer Antonio LeMon told reporters that he would drop his lawsuit against the NFL over the controversial no-call that helped the Los Angeles Rams... Final “NOLA No-Call” Lawsuit Dismissed in Louisiana

Lawyer Antonio LeMon told reporters that he would drop his lawsuit against the NFL over the controversial no-call that helped the Los Angeles Rams win the NFC Championship over the Saints and book their trip to the Super Bowl earlier this year. LeMon had sued, alleging fraud by the NFL over the blatant missed call, arguing that ticket holders were the subject of fraud over the call that weighed so heavily on the outcome of the game.

His case was dismissed on Friday by the Louisiana Supreme Court, which ruled that the only thing a ticket purchaser is entitled to when they attend a game is access to the seat their ticket grants access to. Prior to hitting that wall, a state judge and an appellate court had allowed his lawsuit to proceed despite strong objections from the NFL.

“The Louisiana Supreme Court has now spoken,” LeMon said Monday. “Consequently we, the plaintiffs in this lawsuit, are ready to move on and respect the ruling of our state’s highest court.”

“By this Supreme Court ruling, the only right given to the purchaser of an NFL ticket, at least in Louisiana, is to get a seat in the stadium,” his statement said. “Once in that seat, the NFL has a license to do whatever it wants to us little ticket-holders, even to commit fraud and deceptive consumer trade practices against us without any civil recourse.”

The NFL declined to comment on Monday’s statement by LeMon. In April, owners voted to allow pass interference to be reviewed using instant replay technology, which was not allowed at the time of the play.

In the play in question, the Saints were driving towards the end zone in the 4th quarter of the NFC Championship with the score tied at 20. Receiver Tommylee Lewis was the target of a third down pass from quarterback Drew Brees, but Rams cornerback Nickell Robey-Coleman ran through Lewis before the ball arrived, making a catch impossible. Most felt it was a blatant pass interference penalty, which would have given the Saints a new set of downs within chip shot field goal range and a chance to run the clock out for the victory.

Instead, Los Angeles wound up winning the game in overtime, 26-23.

Other lawsuits filed regarding the controversial call were tossed far earlier in the process than LeMon’s action. LeMon actually received some written responses from league officials regarding the case prior to the latest appeal which resulted in the eventual dismissal of the case.

Support TicketNews by visiting our affiliates - We receive a commission on any purchases made by our readers

Video of the play: https://www.neworleanssaints.com/video/sean-payton-livid-after-no-penalty-on-third-down-incompletion

Sean Burns Editor

Sean Burns is the editor of TicketNews.com. He has served as a reporter, editor and website administrator since the early 2000s. He holds a BA in journalism from Loyola University and a MA in Liberal Arts from Johns Hopkins. He can be reached via email at [email protected]

No comments so far.

Be first to leave comment below.

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *