A German concert venue cancelled R. Kelly’s upcoming show days after the R&B star was charged in the U.S. on 10 counts of sexual abuse.
Earlier this month, TMZ reported that the venue, Ratiopharm Arena, struggled whether or not they should host the concert amid the allegations against Kelly, but ultimately decided “it believed in court of law more than the court of public opinion.” However, over the weekend, Kelly was charged with 10 counts of sexual abuse. Yesterday, he pleaded not guilty and was released on $100,000 bail as he awaits trial.
“Regarding the new and objective facts, we have decided to cancel the contract,” Ratiopharm Arena wrote on its Facebook page, noting that they “regret the fans’ understandable disappointment” and to reach out to the tour’s organizer for refunds.
According to NBC News, Sporthalle Hamburg Arena, which is supposed to hold another Kelly concert on April 14, said they already tried to cancel the contract with Kelly’s representative before he was charged, but were unable to. The venue said that now since the legal situation became more serious, they will try to talk to the representative again.
Kelly’s sexual assault allegations date back to 1994 when he married a 15-year-old girl. Over the past 20 years, he has been acquitted on child pornography charges and has been accused of “knowing and intentionally infecting a woman with an STD,” domestic violence, and running a “sex cult” in his Atlanta home.
The docu-series Surviving R. Kelly, which aired on Lifetime last month, outlined all of Kelly’s allegations and showed interviews from dozens of Kelly’s alleged victims. Just last week, two more women came forward, and according to the New York Times, celebrity prosecutor Michael Avenatti obtained a video showing Kelly having sex with a 14-year-old girl, which he gave to Chicago’s Cook County State’s Attorney Office.
The movement #MuteRKelly has been working toward cancelling Kelly’s concerts across the country, successfully shutting down shows in Illinois and New York City.