Things are looking up as the nation and world continues to reopen, according to Cirque du Soleil CEO Daniel Lamarre. In an interview with CNBC, the executive spoke of strong demand for upcoming performances, and plans to bring much of the companies’ workforce back.
“Every day we sell the double-digit number of tickets that we used to sell on normal days,” Lamarre said on “Squawk on the Street” this week.
Cirque was one of the more aggressive companies in terms of its cost-reduction strategy as the pandemic took hold last year. In June 2020, the company filed for bankruptcy protection and announced it would be laying off thousands of workers, having taken similar action in March.
Fast-forward a year, and things are vastly different.
Rehersals are underway for two of the signature shows put on by Cirque du Soleil in Las Vegas, Mystere and O. Those open on June 28 and July 1, respectively. The company also operates Blue Man Group, which will open on June 24, also in Las Vegas. Plans for other future shows are underway in markets that have high vaccination rates, which will allow them to stage shows at full capacity.
Despite laying off such a huge percentage of its workforce, the company has stayed in touch with “about 95 percent” of its former staffers, and plans to bring themback as shows resume. “They are willing to come back and start over again,” Lamarre said.
The full interview with CNBC is available below: