Nevada Governor Steve Sisolak announced a goal of having every county in the state reopen to 100 percent capacity by the start of June. In practice, the state will be turning over control of reopening to its individual counties beginning in May.
“I am pleased to announce that I am confident every county in the state of Nevada will be able to fully reopen at 100% capacity by June 1,” the governor said. “We will do whatever we can to help counties get there.”
Nevada had put in strict limits on events last year, only lifting its cap on event attendance from 50 to a percentage of venue capacity in October. Prior to that, several high-profile events left the state, including PBR and National Finals Rodeo moving fall events to Texas, which was allowing up to 50 percent of venue capacity at the time.
With the announcement, Sisolak cautioned that social distancing rules and general COVID precautions were not being jettisoned entirely.
“To be clear, this does not mean that social distancing will no longer exist in the state,” Sisolak said. “Every health official will agree that it’s still an important prevention tool. This just means that the state will no longer be setting the requirements. That authority will also now transition to the counties so they can make decisions based on what works best for their local jurisdictions.”
Gaming floors in the state are currently limited to 50 percent capacity.
The Governor’s full press conference is available below: